places to visit in Dharamshala
Dharamshala is a holy place in India, located 15 km away from Kangra district. Dalai Lama came to Dharamshala in 1959 and made this place a small Tibet. Here you can find Tibetian culture followed even today. Dharamshala has two parts, upper and lower, Upper is very close to Mcleodganj and the lower is the town. This place is famous for meditation and peace, people from far off places visit here for meditation practice. When you visit this place you can find peace and you will feel like you are in Tibet.
Places To Visit In Dharamshala
- Gyuto Monastery: Tantric Meditation and Philosophy is studied here and it is the most famous Monastery. This place was started to teach Black magic( Jadu tona) for the benefit of humans. You can find a beautiful Buddha statue inside the monastery, and it is constructed at the top of the hill making this place more beautiful.
- Tibetan Library: It is a Tibetan library in Dharamshala. It consists of 80,000 manuscripts and 600 Buddhist artifacts. You will gain more knowledge about Buddhism and Tibetan culture from here.
- St. John in the Wilderness Church: It is the most important and famous church in Himanchal built-in 1852. Also one of the oldest churches in Dharamshala and the last place for Lord Ergin, one of the Governor-general.
- Triund: A trek to the Himalayas, with an amazing and beautiful view from the Kangra valley. Best trekking spot near Dharamshala with snow walk and camping. It is an amazing and beautiful destination for trekking, people from far off places visit here just for trekking alone.
- Dalai Lama Temple: This place is famous for mediation and will give you a different peace to your mind once you visit.
- Jwala Devi Temple: It is believed that once Goddess Sati’s tongue fell here, then this temple was built. 52km from this place there is Jwalamukhi cave, which is another famous spot to visit.
- Masroor Rock Cut Temple: It is around 30km from Dharamshala. It is said that 15 rock-cut temples are formed in the form of the Indo- Aryan style of architecture. This place was built for the Hindu Gods. There are three entrances to this temple.
- Aghanjar Mahadev Temple: The Lord Shiva temple believed to be built before 500 years.
- Kangra art Museum: The Tibetan culture is well explained in this museum.
- Bhagsu Falls: It is the most amazing waterfall near Dharamshala, one should never miss visiting this place. And also there is Bhagsunath Temple near the waterfalls.
- Tsuglagkhang Complex: This is the place where Dalai Lama resides. You can find a very beautiful statue of Lord Buddha here. The museum will teach you Tibetan culture.
Activities To Do In Dharamshala
- Try Tibetan food
- Practice meditation in Gyuto Monastery
Nearest Railway Station: Kangra Mandir
Nearest Airport: Gaggal Airport